Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dog Training


Since Truffle has taken quite an interest in diapers, we've decided to train her for diaper duty. We're trying to redirect her current behavior to one which is more helpful. Right now Truffle believes that these little bundles are placed in the trash just for her. She finds them, no matter what trash they are in, and takes them on a journey through the doggie door and into the backyard. Most of them are still in tact when we find them. One day, after being gone for a few hours, we came home to discover close to a dozen that had survived the journey to the backyard and a couple of more in the living room that had not made it.

In the past it has taken Truffle 3 15 minute training sessions to really understand what we ask of her. Today we started training while Rémy was engrossed with Baby Einstein. I took the glass jar full of treats into the nursery and said "diaper" over and over and over again. Every time Truffle picked the diaper up I gave her a treat and petted her enthusiastically and said "good diaper".

Next I've got to get her to carry the diaper in her mouth and then to understand the word "trash", and to release the diaper once it's in the trash--and the BIG one--not to get it out again.

If she can get this one down, it'll be one for the books!

Oh, and Gabe is here with us too. He knows how to 'sit' and I'm helping him learn to 'lay' today. Gabe is Ken & Debbe's dog who is staying with us a few days until Ken is well enough.

1 comment:

Reverend Brown said...

Maybe you can train my cat to do something interesting? :) I don't know what. Fetch me socks!

The best I've been able to do is with hand signals. He knows what "come here" looks like, or "jump up." And "naughty kitty I'm gonna get you." Stuff like that. ;)