Thursday, February 14, 2008

What's on the Menu for Valentines?

I'm making a special dinner tonight. Yes, I'm one of those sappy sentimentalists who like the occasion of Valentine's Day. While we celebrate our love every day it's just a special reminder to cherish and appreciate the ones you love.

Anyway, usually we go out for Valentine's day, but this year we're staying in and having Shrimp Etouffee. Five and a half years ago this dish won Walker's heart when I made it for him on our first "date". Unfortunately I lost the original recipe and had to look online for something similar.

Shrimp etouffee recipe includes green onions, bell pepper, shrimp celery, tabasco, and rice.

INGREDIENTS:
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup chopped onion
6 green onions and tops, chopped
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cups water
3 pounds shrimp, peeled,deveined
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
1 small bay leaf
tabasco sauce, to taste
hot cooked rice

PREPARATION:
In a skillet, melt the butter; add flour, stirring to blend. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is deep golden brown. Add the vegetables and cook until tender. Stir in the water, shrimp, parsley and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked. Serve over hot rice.
Serves 4 to 6.

Hope it turns out as good as it did then.

For dessert, I would just love to make a dark chocolate ganache and pour it over a hot out of the oven chocolate cake, but Walker has decided not to eat anything with sugar for 40 days. His co-workers at the bank are Catholic and choosing things to give up for Lent, so he decided to just join them. This will help with his commitment to eat healthier, anyway. So for dessert, I got some fresh peaches and blueberries at Sprouts yesterday and I'll probably make some whipped cream and just sweeten it with honey instead of sugar. I'll post pictures of the deliciousness later on.

1 comment:

Reverend Brown said...

Sounds much like what I used to do. I wager it'll turn out very well. I like to add thyme, myself. And dust the finished meal with paprika. But that's just me and my paprika obsession.