Thursday, February 07, 2008

Banana Experiment



I'm starting an ongoing experiment involving bananas. I guess it's really more of an investigation than an experiment. This may evolve to include more fruits and vegetables but bananas are a good starting place.

Every time I purchase bananas I'm going to keep a log of what brand they are, what is their point of origin (country or state), where they were purchased, how many food miles it is to Frisco, and also plan to take a picture of the condition of the bananas the day I brought them home from the supermarket, farmers market or grocery store. I'm also attempting to keep track of approximately how long they last before we either have to throw them out or use them in banana bread.

Here are two pictures to start the investigation. The first lone banana made it's way into our home when Walker brought it from work on Friday, February 1. Not sure if he acquired it at the deli or from a co-worker who didn't want it at lunch. Either way, it sat uneaten until Wednesday, February 6 when I picked it up and ate it. It was in this condition when I ate it. Unfortunately it had no marker for brand or point of origin.

The second batch I picked up at Walmart yesterday. My choices were Del Monte and UTR both imported from Guatemala. I wanted to take home the UTR because I hadn't heard of them before, but their bananas were more mature and more likely to get black faster and go uneaten, so I opted for Del Monte. The distance from Guatemala to Dallas in a straight line through the Gulf of Mexico is 1319 miles if the bananas were shipped. If they were trucked over here the distance is longer.

4 comments:

Reverend Brown said...

Sigh. I encountered this very issue on Monday. I swear, they went from your picture B to your picture A in under 24 hours. My breakfast was very, very disappointed. I am eager to see your results. --andrew

EShepherd said...

wow....amazing things that I never would have thought to think of! Also...you one other thing from a nurse perspective you might want to consider how many hands and who all has touched those bannanas? So make sure and remember to wash your hands! :-0)

Anonymous said...

You're getting to be as weird as I am - congratulations! Do you know how to slice a banana without peeling it? It's a neat little trick. If you do it right, you peel open the banana and amazingly the banana is already sliced. Amaze your friends. Do you know how to burn a candle and then eat it? By the way, you might suggest to JP that he allow comments on his website from people that don't have a Google identity (as you have).
Tell him we appreciated his notification on our website via a comment about his website update, but I don't know how to send him an email or comment back to him.

Amelie Dorsey said...

hey tell him i fixed it