Thursday, February 07, 2008

Greeting Cards

There's something magical to me about stationery, pretty papers, cards and notes. I'm pretty sure this love comes from my Mom who sends notes and cards for any and every occasion. I'm also pretty sure that her love of writing notes and sending correspondence was passed to her through my Grandmother, who not only loves writing but has a special talent for it.

Having said this, I save any personal correspondence. Whether it be a letter, greeting card, birthday card, thank you note, Christmas card, etc. I have a hat box and a plastic container that I keep them in. It is so interesting to me to go back and read correspondence from years back. I became even more adamant about saving letters when Amy passed away. It's just that even though the person is gone from this earth, their handwriting lives on and their words written on that occasion on which the correspondence was mailed are forever saved, safe in a hatbox or a plastic container.

When Walker and I got married and had such lovely wedding showers and received such lovely congratulatory notes and cards I had to save them. I found a way to not just store them in a box, but utilized their beauty by putting them in our scrapbook. Although the scrapbook turned out great and it's nice to have to look at, scrapbooking takes so much time that I've pretty much given up on it.

Now, when Rémy came along we received more beautiful and lovely congratulatory cards. Right now they are sitting in a little pink shoe box in her closet. There are probably close to 100 cards there that I can't just throw away. Mom saved cards from when I was born and taped them all in my baby book. I remember looking through my baby book and admiring all the cards, some of them from people I didn't know. There's something about reading a card that is for you before you were born. The person doesn't know you, hasn't met you, yet is sending wishes and prayers and hopes for you.

While I am quite the sentimentalist when it comes to saving special items, I've also learned not to let items that aren't used sit around and collect clutter. So, this brings me to my predicament: what can I do with these cards to save them for posterity's sake, but to also put them to use so they're not just taking up space. Oh, and there's not a blank space in her baby book that I can tape them in...plus the quantity of cards would make that difficult.

I remember attending a 25th anniversary party for Sharlette & Jamey a couple of years ago. Jamey scanned the cards into the computer, inside and outside and posted them on his website. That's a great idea because they would be "saved" in a sense....but I'd like for Rémy to be able to actually look at and feel them in the tangible sense.

Do you save any correspondence? What do you do with it?

2 comments:

Laura Dorsey said...

Grandmother Dollye would trim the edges around all of her old Christmas cards from friends, with pinking shears, then glue them on the tops of Christmas presents that matched the colors. These were also used as tags, writing on them, and they were very striking.

Ideas: You could decoupage a plain brown box and lid from Hobby Lobby, with the cards cut out and overlapping each other. Can be used for storage for Remys baby clothes perhaps. Or you could reuse them for friends new arrivals, gluing to a party sack or wrapped box. Oh, I know! Could use them to cover Remys name letters, for the wall.

Anonymous said...

Hey nice blog my friend.There is unique web-based system that allows you to send real greeting cards online with a click of your mouse! You choose type message and upload a picture into your card . We print stuff ,stamp and send it!