Friday, May 29, 2009

Top Picks for Employment

In this economy I consider any job a good job. I love where I work and would be delighted if they would pay me three times what I make, let me have summers, holidays and weekends off. And although I am excited about teaching and about the future it is with much reluctance and hesitancy to change that I look for new jobs.

Here are my top five school districts in order of preference and the reasons why: (If you are looking for a teaching job in the DFW area, these are some great schools to consider. Most of this information was gathered through the districts websites or by word of mouth.) Although I am not closed-minded about private schools, I am mainly considering public schools because of the retirement system, better pay, better benefits and I feel that public schools did me a great justice in my own education. I also feel like I would have a broader reach and greater impact by teaching in public school.

1. Lovejoy ISD- offers the best technology program in Texas. Very small school district, the middle school and high schools have been operating less than two years. There are three elementary schools. To recruit the best staff they offer the best salary of any other district in our area, first year teacher starting salary $44,700. Another perk of working here is in-district child care/ preschool program for teachers' children. In addition to the salary, math teachers receive an additional $2,000 stipend. Lovejoy is just east of Allen and would be about a 30-40 minute drive. Although I have applied to their online system I plan to visit four of the schools and introduce myself personally next week.

2. Prosper ISD- in the low end as far as salary goes, first year starting salary of $40,000. The perks would be working in a small town with small schools, $1,500 stipend for math teachers, and $9,000 bonus for teachers whose class passes the TAKS test with 90% or better. The bonus would definitely make up for the low salary, and although professional accountability is very important to me I do not necessarily want to 'teach to a test' or be under pressure to perform. Prosper is about a 20 minute drive from our house. I have visited three schools in PISD and introduced myself as an interested applicant.

3. Melissa ISD-pays about the same as Prosper but has an opening for a 5th grade math/ science teacher. Incidentally, my science scores were the highest on the exam that I took, followed by math, social studies and last language arts. The drive to Melissa would be about 40 minutes but this position would give me the opportunity to find out if I really only want to teach just math or if science is an option too. I have applied online to three positions and plan to visit in person next week.

4. Frisco ISD-Convenient, pays well at $44,500. The fastest student body percentage growth rates of any other district in Texas. Offers an in-district child care program/ preschool for teachers' children. Membership to the AMAZING Frisco Rec. Center that just opened last year, normally $800 per family. FISD also offers a tuition reimbursement program for pursuit of higher degrees. The only down side is that I've heard health insurance is high. I have personally visited 6 schools in FISD within a five mile radius of our house and plan to visit more.

5. Little Elm ISD-On the higher end of the pay scale, about the same as Frisco. Has in-district preschool structured program for teachers' children at a great rate. Has $1,500 stipend for math teachers. Little Elm would be at least a 20 minute drive from our house.

I have also applied to McKinney, Lewisville, Allen, Celina, Farmersville, Anna, a couple of Charter schools, Highland Park, & Princeton ISD's. Most school districts will be winding up the school year next week and starting to fill open positions for the '09-'10 school year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the teaching to the test - I would think that would be the bare minimum a teacher would instruct.

The way the instruction goes for public schools is a set criteria is given for each grade. You may teach more, but may not teach any less than what is mandated.

Teaching to the test is a term that should be viewed as defining the teacher, not the curriculum.

Oh, and Harry Wong, who wrote the bible on teaching, teaches teaching to the test, by the way...

Summer said...

Good luck! It looks like you have done a lot of research and ANYONE would be so lucky to pick you!!