Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Visit



We had a visit this evening from Aunt Elizabeth and Nana. They came to give Ben his birthday present and arrived bearing plants! Mom gave me a rosemary bush (my other did not survive our last move) and Aunt Elizabeth gave me a Kalanchoe flowering plant! This gets the green going through my veins, I can barely wait until I can start planting. Just a few more weeks.



Walker and I have been planning a few projects to the yard/ landscape as well as gardening.

What kinds of plants do you like to keep around your yard? If you are planting edible items (herbs, veggies, fruits), what kinds are you planting? Will this year's crazy weather/ economy affect what you plant in the coming weeks?

My brother George went crazy last year with planting!! I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to say that, as the older sibling. His entire backyard, in Pleasant Grove, was a jungle of watermelons, pumpkins, tomatoes, okra, onions, jalapenos, bell peppers, banana peppers, etc. I think I remember him saying he planted around 30-40 different tomato plants! CRAZY!

Mom has a special interest in herbs. At some point last summer she had upwards of 40-50 differing herbs planted around her home. She used/ uses them all for various purposes. Tony and Jamie's rabbit was the official taste-tester of each herb. Rabbit has refined tastes, only the best.

My grandparents always have a beautiful yard with various types of trees, flowers, and shrubs. They are knowledgeable about each one.

When my great-grandparents, Grr and Grandmother were alive, they had a special interest in irises. They always had the most beautiful backyard full of blooms, especially around Easter time.

Grampy and Grammy have an assortment of herbs and flowers around their farm. In Clarksville we recently discovered lamb's ear and enormous wild sage bushes. Grampy also grows wheat and turnips for the deer.

No comments: