Monday, December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving Keeper Recipes

I enjoyed hosting a wonderful thanksgiving meal over here for some of our family. I love to cook and used many new recipes this year. Most were from The Pioneer Woman and I was happy with the outcome of every recipe. We had roasted turkey, brined in apple juice, orange peel, salt, peppercorns and herbs. We had pineapple and brown sugar basted ham. I did cornbread stuffing with four types of fresh herbs, creamed spinach, turnip gratin, scrumptious apple pie, chocolate pecan pie, hot buttered rum and spiced cider. Part of the fun of Thanksgiving is that everyone contributes to the feast. Annie brought deviled eggs, Mom brought a cherry pecan jello, salad and crudité tray and an Indiana corn casserole that Walker raved about. Tony and Annie made a pumpkin pie and peeled the apples for my apple pie (Annie's hand survived a runaway peeler). Dad made a seven layer salad that was well liked. John Paul and Tracy made a Cherry cheesecake. Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Elizabeth brought delicious new potatoes and green beans, an apple lattice pie, and a colorful fresh fruit salad.

Another positive note I'll have to remember for next year is that I managed to finish most if not all of the cooking/prep work before everyone arrived allowing me to visit with everyone and be a little more relaxed than just working in the kitchen.

We joined Walker's family for dinner (it seems I can eat 6 meals a day now, no matter if it's Thanksgiving or not) and I especially loved these little appetizers that Debbe made olives wrapped in pie crust and baked. She also made a chocolate graham cracker bar with nuts that was soooo decadent! Rémy loved playing with her cousin Whitman and Aunt Kendra and all the doggies and kitty-kitty.

In these fast and furious times it's a rare treat to take a moment to savor with friends and family.

No comments: