Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Conquering the Laundry




Laundry Room

We need a plan of action. Desperately. We are soon to be overrun by laundry. Who knew that two adults, one girl and one doggie could generate soooo much laundry.

Laundry Room



First, I'll confess I'm not a wonderful domestic goddess. I can cook, but that's about it as far as domestication. I've never liked to clean, my mom can chronicle it for you as far back as 1981. Whenever cleaning was to be done, I would suddenly need to go to the bathroom, or had an onset of the 'not feeling well's. On the rare occasion I would actually do housework I would get overwhelmed by the overall scheme of things and just focus on one project. Sure, the whole house is a train wreck, but I'll just focus on pairing my shoes.


Sofa #1


Walker, on the other hand is a sailor when it comes to keeping his things tidy and orderly and ship-shape. We agreed very early on in our marriage that I would do the laundry and he would do the dishes. He always seemed to be caught up on the dishes, with spare time...while I seemed to have an unending chore of laundry. So we switched, he did the laundry, I did the dishes. (I must not have thought it was fair that he got the shorter task). The laundry caught up in a matter of a couple of days, which I attributed to us wearing the same underwear every day that week. Meanwhile, the dishes stacked up and up and up, probably because we didn't eat out so much that week, right? So we switched back. And that's where we've been ever since. There has been ONE time I've been caught up on laundry. It was in January of this year. And while I'd like to take all the credit and say it was because I slaved away washing and drying and folding clothes, it's really because of my mother and mother-in-law who came over to help after Rémy was born.

Sofa #2



About once a week, Walker sheepishly says, "Do you want some help with the laundry?" He knows I'll say no to this, because I'm stubborn and don't need any help...but it's also his friendly reminder to keep me on task.


Bedroom Chair #1

I made a plan yesterday telling myself that all I have to do is get caught up, and then maintain. Seems so easy, right? We'll see.

I got embarassed about the amount of pictures I took of piles of laundry around the house....so there's another chair, bathroom floor, and in front of dresser, along with piles of clean clothes that Rémy has outgrown. As a side note, almost all of these piles are clean clothes. They just never seems to migrate onto hangers and into closets.

I found an article called Stay on Top of Your Laundry after googling the subject.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness - it's so nice to see that I am not alone in the laundry war. I am the worst. Shane will say, "Sweetie, do I have clean underwear to wear to work today?" Yikes. And it just got even harder with two kiddos and a house on the market. Good luck :)

EShepherd said...

um...is this a genetic thing or is it just out of convienience? I am not going to show you my laundry pile, as yours are more artistic than mine. A true confession: I do have a pile of laundry that sits and is never put away and I live out of that pile! Oh my, did I just say that? mmm...maybe better go fold some laundry and put it in its' proper place. ha, ha

Reverend Brown said...

I used to be in a similar way... until this last January. Not sure what happened, but living alone has changed me a bit. I get all the dishes done each day. I get a little chunk of laundry done (I have that small but efficient washer-dryer device that runs while I'm at work.) I even take the trash out regularly (and not pile it outside the door like my neighbors do.)

But your pictures... yes, I used to be there. Memories, sweet sweet memories. Good luck taming that linen-fueled beast!