Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Pasta Sauce

Alright, we all know how time consuming it is to make homemade tomato sauce for spaghetti or other noodles. We all also know how difficult is is to make a decision on the spaghetti sauce isle with the unlimited choices. Only about a handful of spaghetti sauce jars actually make it home for me to try. For the past two years I have been buying Hunt's no-sugar added sauce and jazzing it up with fresh garlic, chopped bell peppers and chopped onion and then adding the ground turkey breast at the end. This was the healthier option for us because we aren't consuming additional high fructose corn syrup that most commercial canned foods contain (or for that matter than almost any processed foods contain). And also using turkey instead of italian sausage or beef cuts down on the fat. I have been fighting the organic trend tooth and nail for quite some time. I try to buy local organic produce and organic chicken when it's affordable but last week I ventured out and picked a different sauce. It is roughly $2.50 for a jar when I usually just pay $1.00. It has NO preservatives and I can definitely taste the difference. I will start using this sauce from now on. In addition to having no preservatives, the sauce needed no jazzing up. It had chunks of tomatoes, basil, pine nuts and other herbs. This is Newman's Own Pesto and Tomato sauce. Give it a try. I'd say it's worth the extra money if the lack of preservatives help prevent pickling to my liver and kidneys. Anyone else have any good organic products they can't live without?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have any organic foods that I can't live without. I try and buy organic when I can but one thing I don't go cheap on is toilet paper.
Gotta have the good stuff - even if it's more expensive.
I'm a big baby when it comes to toilet paper I guess.