Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pregnancy Books


I've read quite a few including What to Expect When You're Expecting, Your Pregnancy & Birth, Planning Your Pregnancy & Birth, Miracle in the Making, The Expectant Father, The Pregnancy Journal, Soothe Your Baby the Natural Way and a few others that I read and put back on the shelf (on my lunch breaks).

While comprehensively they contain loads of information, it's essentially all the same. The only one that I've read, liked and would highly recommend is The Pregnancy Journal. The name is deceiving, because it's not a journal in the sense we think of a journal. It is a day by day account of what's going on with your body, what's going on with baby's body, what you should be thinking about, what kind of growth you should expect and even gives insight into cultures around the world telling what other countries and tribes do at certain times. The one that came most highly recommended to me was What to Expect When You're Expecting. By the volume of this book that gets sold back to us at Half Price Books I'm sure every pregnant woman in America has owned or will own this one. I was disappointed and left feeling anxious and worried every time I read through the month by month chapter breakdown. It seems to focus more on the possibilities that CAN happen to you and your baby listing problems, don't's abnormalities, pains, defects, etc. While all of this can be very helpful at times, especially if you are facing one of those issues, I found it to be disheartening and found The Pregnancy Journal, by contrast to focus more on development and growth.

No comments: